It feels like the December holiday was a whole year, doesn’t it? It feels like the holidays were just too short. It is back to work now and the questions is to snack or not to snack at work.
The answer is that snacking depends on each individual. The truth is not everyone needs to nibble away but sometimes need to snack to help keep their energy levels up as well as based on their dietary requirements. When one chooses to snack, having nutritious snacks to eat during the workday can help you stay energised and productive.
Still, coming up with ideas for snacks that are easy to prep, healthy and portable can be difficult, so please see below my Top 5 work snack ideas;
1. Dried fruits & Nuts / Trail Mix
- Great snack packed with fibre
- Healthy fats from the nuts which are essential for brain health
- Packed with vitamins & minerals such as vitamin E, selenium, B-vitamins
- Bonus: This snack option is Non-perishable
- Example: Pack of peanuts (nuts) & raisins (dried fruit), or you can make your own trail mix at home by using your favourite nuts and dried fruits
2. Roasted Chickpeas
- Not a traditional snack for most people but these are super nutritious
- Packed with fibre (about 5 g per ½ cup), a source of protein (about 10g protein per ½ cup) providing essential amino acids
- The combination of vitamins & minerals, fibre and protein make roasted chickpeas a great snack for sustained energy at work, suitable for people on a weight loss diet, helps with good gut health too
- Bonus: Low in energy “calories”
3. Apple & Peanut butter
- This combo is a gem, most households keep apples and actually keep peanut butter
- This is a great easy to make, filling and of course nutritious snack
- Peanut butter contributes protein and healthy fats, while apples are high in fiber and water, making them particularly filling.
- In fact, 1 medium apple (182 grams) is over 85% water and has more than 4 grams of fiber
- Gives sustained energy levels to keep you going for the day, this snack is a great as an “afternoon pick-me up”
4. Popcorn or mealies
- You can make popcorn at home or grab those grilled or boiled mealies by the side of the road, whatever you choose, works.
- Popcorn is a nutritious and satisfying snack for work that’s high in fiber and low in calories.
- Two cups (16 grams) of air-popped popcorn provide 62 calories, 12 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, and several vitamins and minerals
- Bonus: Corn or mealies contains antioxidants called polyphenols that may help protect against chronic conditions, such as heart diseases
5. Boiled egg
- This is a quick, and easily one of the most convenient snacks you can have
- Very easily accessible snack – one can even grab eggs by the side of the road too on the way to work – already boiled
- Packed with protein – 1 egg, contains at least 6 g protein
- Great source of an essential nutrients such as Choline which has important functions such as nervous system & brain functions, Vitamin B12, vitamin D , Vitamin B6
How about snacking on nutritional shakes?
Snacking on a nutritional shake can also be an easy, nutritious & convenient snack. Choosing a delicious & nutritionally balanced shake is key to boosting your vitality, keeping your energy levels up and leaving you satisfied.
Happy, healthy snacking
Yours in Health