Infertility is usually diagnosed when a couple fails to conceive after one year of unprotected intercourse. Diagnosis and treatment require a thorough assessment of both partners. The extent and time course should be individualized i.e. more rapidly if the woman is over 35 years.
Common causes of infertility:
- Failure to ovulate
- Obstruction to Fallopian tubes
- Disease of the lining of the uterus (endometriosis)
- Decreased number of sperm
- Decreased motility of sperm
- Absence of sperm
- Men should avoid hot baths and tight pants as sperm formation is temperature dependant.
- Success depends on the reason for infertility, if there is obstruction of the Fallopian tubes or no sperm count then no amount of nutritional supplements or loose clothing will help!
- Appropriate assessment is essential